New Employee Required Paperwork
Welcome to UTSA! Please access Employee Self Service and follow the instructions below to ensure all new employment actions are completed. All sections are required and must be completed.
Step One: Submit Section 1 of the I-9 Form
- Log into PeopleSoft by navigating to my.utsa.edu.
- Under Faculty/Staff Resources, select UTShare/PeopleSoft.
- You will be prompted to select your home institution (The University of Texas at San Antonio). Then click Select.
- Enter your UTSA login (UTSA ID and Passphrase).
- If you are off campus, you will be prompted to authenticate using Duo.
- The Employee Self Service page of PeopleSoft will open.
- To locate the I-9, click the Personal Details tile and select the Form I-9 tab.
- Complete Section 1 of the I-9 Form using the instructions below.
- Every field must be completed with the exception of middle initial.
- If you do not have data (e.g., apartment number), enter “n/a”.
- Please use your personal email address and phone number, not your UTSA information.
- Under the Citizenship and Employment Authorization, attest to one of the four categories that apply to you and enter the information beside or below if applicable.
- Electronically sign the form by selecting your name from the drop down.
- Once all application information is completed, click SUBMIT.
NOTE: Your I-9 is not complete until you have completed STEP 2.
Step Two: Present Work Authorization Documents
Documents must be provided to People Excellence, located in the North Paseo Building (NPB), room 451.
- Review the List of Acceptable Documents.
- After completing Section 1 of the I-9 form, bring documents from either a “List A” OR both a “List B” and “List C” document to People Excellence. Only original documents or certified copies will be accepted. Documents cannot be expired and copies or scans will not be accepted.
NOTE: If your I-9 is not complete within three business days of your start date, there may be an impact to your employment.
Step Three: Update Personal Details
Review and verify the information that currently exists in the personal details section of PeopleSoft and make changes as necessary.
- Contact details (phone number and email address)
- Additional Information
Complete any missing information, including:
- Ethnic group - Click on the button to choose the applicable category or categories.
- Emergency Contact
Step Four: Direct Deposit
If you do not complete the direct deposit form, a paper check will be mailed to you.
- Click on the Direct Deposit category on the left-hand side of the screen.
- To add your bank information, click Add Account.
- Enter your bank's routing number and your account number.
- Select Checking.
- Deposit Type: Balance of Net Pay (default selection)
- Deposit Order: 999 (default number)
- Do not change the default number. Doing so will result in an error.
- The “Amount or Percent” box should remain empty.
- Acknowledge the terms of using Direct Deposit.
- Click Accept, then click Submit.
Step Five: W-4
Find the W-4 section under Payroll and Compensation.
- Review and verify your home address.
- Select your filing status.
- Complete steps 2–4 on the W-4 form, if applicable.
- Review claim exemption and submit.
Note: The W-4 can be updated every 24 hours.
Any questions related to the W-4 form should be directed to Payroll.
Step Six: Update Talent Profile
Under the General tab:
- Select Add New Data Privacy Elections.
- Click the magnifying glass and choose Restrictions.
- Select the options of the data you want restricted and click OK.
- Select Relative Employed by UT (if applicable).
- Select Add.
- Select the UT Family by clicking on the magnifying glass icon.
- Select Department (if known).
- Look up by name to fill in Employee ID. You can use the Search Criteria dropdown to locate the person by name.
- Click Save on the top right of the screen.
- Select Veteran Identification (required).
- Click the magnifying glass and choose UTVETSTAT.
- Click the drop-down menu to select the status that applies to you.
- Check the option that applies to you.
- View further explanation of these categories.
- Click Save on the top right of the screen.
- Enter highest education level.
- Enter degrees earned.
- Review and enter relevant information.
Your Employee Self Service is not finalized until you have completed all of the steps above. If you have any questions regarding Employee Self Service, please email People Excellence or call (210) 458-4250.