Creating, Modifying or Inactivating a Department ID or SpeedType/Cost Center
|Effective:||04/19/12||Approved By: Senior Associate Vice President for Financial Affairs and Chief Financial Officer|
For Assistance Contact: Accounting Services
To provide information and guidance for the creation and maintenance of a Department ID and/or the associated financial Chartfield values for non−sponsored and non-capital project funds.
For information on sponsored projects, contact the appropriate UTSA Research Service Center (RSC).
For information on capital projects, see Financial Guideline — Capital Projects.
This guideline is in accordance with UTS142, generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), and established fund accounting and internal control principles.
Table of Contents
All UTSA expenditures and revenues are recorded in the UTSA financial accounting system using information based on the Chart of Accounts. Two important elements of the Chart of Accounts are Department ID and the associated SpeedType(s)/Cost Center(s). For more information on Department IDs, SpeedTypes/Cost Centers and the Chart of Accounts, see Financial Guideline — Chart of Accounts.
Department ID modifications are sometimes needed due to department manager changes. SpeedTypes/Cost Centers may need to be created or inactivated due to reorganizations. SpeedTypes/Cost Centers are not changed unless they belong to a gift cost center, which requires maintenance of history against the gift records maintained by the Office of Development and Alumni Relations. UTSA provides centralized coordination and processing of these changes in order to
- Facilitate accurate and timely financial accounting and reporting;
- Enhance internal control by providing a uniform process, consistent treatment and accountability; and
- Help ensure compliance with legal and regulatory requirements.
Submit a completed Chart of Accounts (COA) Maintenance Request Form to request
- Creation or inactivation of SpeedTypes/Cost Centers
- Creation, modification or inactivation of Department IDs
For instructions on completing the form, see the Chart of Accounts Maintenance Request Form Instructions.
To ask questions about the COA Maintenance Request Form, please contact the following offices:
- SpeedType(s)/Cost Center(s) – determination of “Fund” (except Restricted)
- Other related budget questions
- Questions regarding department add/update
- SpeedType(s)/Cost Center(s) — determination of “Function”
- SpeedType(s)/Cost Center(s) – determination of “Fund” (Restricted)
- Other related accounting questions
- Form completion questions
Business Information Services (BIS) via Tech Café
- Form completion questions
- Questions relating to SharePoint workflow or locating requested documents
After you submit the form, the automated workflow will route the document to the relevant areas for review, approval and any other required action:
- First level: Budget and Financial Planning
- Second level: Accounting Services
- Third level: BIS
Following BIS approval, you, the department manager and any additional individuals identified within the form will receive email notification of form completion.
NOTE: Accounting Services reserves the right to limit or question requests that do not meet financial reporting requirements.
|04/15/22||Changed the title from “Establishing, Modifying, and Inactivating a Department ID and SpeedChart/Cost Center”. Clarified the types of changes that may be made to SpeedTypes/Cost Centers and to Department IDs. Significant updates to Section B for current Chart of Accounts Maintenance Request Form processes. Editorial updates throughout, including hyperlinks and terminology clarification (replaced SpeedChart with SpeedType, for example).|