Use IDTs for Interdepartmental Payments
University departments often provide goods or services to other university departments. To facilitate the payment for these goods and services, you must use the interdepartmental transfer (IDT) process.
When Should an IDT Be Used?
Use an IDT for the following:
• For services rendered between departments (e.g., mail, lab testing, etc.)
• For sales between departments (e.g., Fiesta medals) Initiating an IDT
The department that provides the goods or services should initiate the interdepartmental transfer.
Processing an IDT
There are two types of IDTs: those charged to cost centers or capital projects and those charged to sponsored projects or cost-sharing cost centers.
Step 1: Complete the Journal Upload spreadsheet by filling in the required fields
|For the department that provided the goods or services||For the department that received the goods or services|
|Account||Enter a general ledger revenue account (begins with a 4). *||Enter a general ledger expense account (begins with a 6). *|
|Speed Type||Enter the SpeedType of the cost center or project that provided the goods or services.||Enter the SpeedType of the cost center or project that received the goods or services.|
|Amount||The dollar amount should be negative.||The dollar amount should be positive.|
|Description||Enter up to 30 characters describing the charge. This helps the department identify the revenue they are receiving.||Enter up to 30 characters describing the charge. This helps the department being charged identify the expense.|
|This is an optional field you can use for additional information, such as an invoice number.||This is an optional field you can use for additional information, such as an invoice number.|
*For a list of commonly used account codes, download this job aid
You can also refer to the example below (click on image to expand).
Step 2: Your next step is to insert the completed Journal Upload Spreadsheet into an email with the following required information
- In the subject line, enter a brief description of the IDT (e.g., Mail Services IDT November 2020)
- In the body of the email, provide a brief description of the charges
- Attach supporting documentation of the charge (invoices, emails, etc.)
- If an Official Occasions account (accounts 67106 or 67107) is being charged, include a completed Business Expense Form with the appropriate approvals
Step 3: You will need to send your IDT email to the appropriate office
- If the IDT is being charged to a cost center or a capital project, send your email to Accounting Services.
- Accounting Services will then upload the IDT to PeopleSoft. If errors are generated on the IDT, Accounting Services will contact you via email to let you know you must resolve the errors (e.g., work with the Budget Office or provide an alternative cost center to be charged). Once you have a resolution, you will need to contact Accounting Services to finalize the IDT. If the error is not resolved, the IDT will not be processed.
- If the IDT is being charged to a sponsored project or cost-sharing cost center, send your email to Grants and Contracts Financial Services (GCFS).
- Grants and Contracts Financial Services will review and approve the IDT and then forward them to us to upload into PeopleSoft. If errors are generated on the IDT, Accounting Services or GCFS will contact you via email to let you know you must resolve the errors (e.g., work with the Budget Office or GCFS or provide an alternative cost center or project to be charged). Once you have a resolution, you will need to contact Accounting Services or GCFS to finalize the IDT. If the error is not resolved, the IDT will not be processed.
Deadline to Ensure an IDT Is Posted to the Current Month
To ensure an IDT is posted in the current month, you must submit the IDT to Accounting Services or GCFS no later than the 25th day of the month. Errors on your IDT must be resolved by the department no later than the last business day of the month.
For questions about the interdepartmental transfer process, email Accounting Services or call ext. 4212. For sponsored project-related questions, email Grants and Contracts Financial Services.