Faculty & Staff Travel

Plan Your Trip in Advance

The first thing you should do to ensure an overall successful travel experience while traveling on university business is process a travel authorization before your departure date. A travel authorization allows you to pursue “permission” from your supervisor to travel, as well as simultaneously set aside funds to pay for all estimated expenses incurred on your trip. Keep in mind that a travel authorization is not necessary for local travel.

Once you return from your trip, you have 30 days to prepare and submit your receipts for reimbursement by processing an expense report. The best way to pay for your major travel expenses, such as airfare, lodging, car rental, registration or incidentals, is to use the One Card. Your meal per diem expense and any other out-of-pocket expense can be a part of your reimbursable items when you return from your trip. 

Book Your Flight and Car Rental

Use one of the required travel agencies to book your flight, or one of the five car rental agencies to reserve your car rental in advance. Visit the Travel Vendors page to guide you through the booking process.  

Washington, D.C., Travel

If you are traveling to Washington, D.C., for activities that involve obtaining or spending federal funds or that impact federal policy in any way, you need to report your trip to the Office of State-Federal Relations (OSFR).  

International Travel

Your trip is automatically registered into On Call International when you book your travel using the travel agencies. If you are traveling to a potentially high-risk area, then you need to pursue further travel approval from the International Oversight Committee (IOC).   

First-Class Airfare

A justification is necessary for travelers to request seat upgrades or fly first class for trips longer than five hours. Process an Airfare Class Approval Form to obtain the proper approvals to book an upgraded seat.

Hospitality Expenses

If on your trip, you incurred costs associated with any type of hospitality and entertainment expenses, make sure you include an approved Business Expense Form with your expense report.